What is a Mold Inspection?
A mold inspection is where a certified mold inspector searches for evidence of mold growth in a structure. When evidence of probable mold is found, a test is performed to determine the specific type of mold present within the structure. The goal of the inspection is to discover if mold is present without damaging the property inspected. Test results should come back within 7 business days.
What is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus. It feeds on things composed of carbon atoms and thrives in damp environments with little sunlight. Mold reproduces by releasesing lightweight spores into the air. These spores then attach themselves to a new source of carbon and start new colonies.
How did mold get inside the home?
Mold is actually in the air we breathe. It’s everywhere. Ridding ourselves of the presence of mold in a home is virtually impossible. So the question isn’t “How did mold get inside the home?” its “How did mold find favorable conditions to grow inside the home?”. A mold problem can only be the product of a moisture problem inside the home. No moisture. No mold.
What are the most common places to find mold colonies inside of a home?
The most common places to find mold inside of a home are:
- Basements or cellars that have been flooded
- Underneath kitchen and bathroom sinks
- Underneath or behind refrigerators
- Behind walls that also house plumbing
- Stacks of damp or wet newspaper or cardboard boxes
- Around air-conditioning units
- Wallboard or around windows that leak
- Under carpeting that may have become wet
Mold is especially common after any sort of flooding. Always remember: Where there’s moisture, there’s mold.
Why should I have the mold tested?
There are over 100,000 different species of mold fungi. Identifying which species is present in the home will only be possible after a sample is mailed to a laboratory for testing. Many species of mold are dangerous to humans, even more so for young children.
How is mold dangerous to humans?
Mold is dangerous to humans when a large amount of spores are frequently inhaled over a period of time. Exposure to mold can cause a number of health issues such as:
- throat irritation
- nasal stuffiness
- eye irritation
- cough and wheezing
- skin irritation
- heightened sensitivity